Virginia CPA Requirements
Are you looking to take the CPA Exam as an exam candidate for Virginia? Each state or region in the United States has a different set of requirements in order to sit for the test. If you are considering Virginia, you should first understand if you meet all of the necessary qualifications including education, residency, and age requirements. Below you will find the appropriate prerequisites, test center locations, exam fees, resources, and contact information to help you better understand all Virginia CPA requirements. For example, did you know that you need 24 semester hours of both accounting and business courses to sit for the exam?
Please note that obtaining a CPA license in VA may require additional qualifications including continuing education or work experience.
The data on this page was last reviewed and updated in January 2019.
CPA Exam Requirements in Virginia
- Baccalaureate degree is required.
- 120 semester hours is required to sit for the CPA exam
- Additional semester hour requirements. See full education requirements on the Virginia Board of Accountancy website.
Virginia State Requirements & Education Options
Pursuant to § 54.1-116, Code of Virginia, all CPA exam applicants must provide a U.S. Social Security number or control number issued by the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles. Applicants without a U.S. SSN or control number issued by the DMV are not eligible to sit for the CPA exam in Virginia.
Exam candidates must obtain from one or more accredited institutions:
- At least 120 semester hours of education
- Baccalaureate or higher degree
- Accounting concentration or equivalent: Principles or introductory accounting courses cannot be considered in determining whether a person has obtained the 48 minimum number of semester hours required for an accounting concentration or equivalent.
Course requirements include:
- Minimum of 24 semester hours of accounting courses, to include: courses in auditing, financial accounting, management accounting, and taxation.
US citizenship is not required.
Virginia residency is not required.
NO Age Requirements.
Visit prometric.com to find a CPA test center in Virginia near you.
Free U.S. CPA Exam Qualification Services for International Candidates
Earn University Accounting Credits
Try the Wiley CPAexcel Course with FREE access to over 7,500 CPA Exam questions and much more.
Instant Access, No Credit Card Required
|Initial Application Fee:||$120.00|
*Registration fee for re-examination depends on the number of parts you are retaking.
CPA License Requirements in Virginia
Continuing education is required.
Work experience is required.
Social Security Number is required.
Pass the AICPA Ethics Exam.
Getting your CPA license in Virginia can mean that additional requirements must be met. Since fees, requirements, and rules may change on a frequent basis, we highly recommend contacting the Virginia State Board of Accountancy for complete licensing information.