Tennessee CPA Requirements
Are you looking to take the CPA Exam as an exam candidate for Tennessee? Each state or region in the United States has a different set of requirements in order to sit for the test. If you are considering Tennessee, you should first understand if you meet all of the necessary qualifications including education, residency, and age requirements. Below you will find the appropriate prerequisites, test center locations, exam fees, resources, and contact information to help you better understand all Tennessee CPA requirements.
Please note that obtaining a CPA license in TN may require additional qualifications including continuing education or work experience.
The data on this page was last reviewed and updated in January 2019.
CPA Exam Requirements in Tennessee
- Effective Jan. 26, 2017, you must have completed a BA degree with at least 18 semester or 27 quarter hours of accounting education at the upper division level, junior level or higher.
- Need 150 hours to be granted full licensure, but do not need to sit for the exam.
- Additional semester hour requirements. See full education requirements on the Tennessee Board of Accountancy website.
Tennessee State Requirements & Education Options
Eligibility for Examination
Effective January 27,2017
In order to sit for the Exam, you must meet the following education requirement:
- Completed a bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited institution
- Completed at least 18 semester or 27 quarter hours of accounting at the upper division excluding credits from internship programs
Upper division courses are from the junior, senior and graduate levels.
You may submit your application for the Exam while your education is still in progress; however, you must complete your education before you sit for any section of the Exam. No credit for the Exam will be given to you if you fail to successfully complete your education prior to sitting for the Exam.
US citizenship is not required.
Tennessee residency is not required.
NO Age Requirements.
Visit prometric.com to find a CPA test center in Tennessee near you.
Free U.S. CPA Exam Qualification Services for International Candidates
Earn University Accounting Credits
Try the Wiley CPAexcel Course with FREE access to over 7,500 CPA Exam questions and much more.
Instant Access, No Credit Card Required
|Initial Application Fee:||$170.00|
*Registration fee for re-examination depends on the number of parts you are retaking.
CPA License Requirements in Tennessee
Continuing education is required.
Work experience is required.
Social Security Number is required.
Pass the AICPA Ethics Exam.
Getting your CPA license in Tennessee can mean that additional requirements must be met. Since fees, requirements, and rules may change on a frequent basis, we highly recommend contacting the Tennessee State Board of Accountancy for complete licensing information.