Montana CPA Requirements
Are you looking to take the CPA Exam as an exam candidate for Montana? Each state or region in the United States has a different set of requirements in order to sit for the test. If you are considering Montana, you should first understand if you meet all of the necessary qualifications including education, residency, and age requirements. Below you will find the appropriate prerequisites, test center locations, exam fees, resources, and contact information to help you better understand all Montana CPA requirements. For example, did you know that a social security number is not required to sit for the exam?
Please note that obtaining a CPA license in MT may require additional qualifications including continuing education or work experience.
The data on this page was last reviewed and updated in November 2017.
CPA Exam Requirements in Montana
- 24 units of accounting study (non-introductory courses)
- 24 units of non-accounting, general business courses
- Note: A Bachelor’s Degree and 150 semester hours is required when applying for licensure (but neither are required to sit for the exam)
- Specifics for required courses and semester hours. See full education requirements on the Montana Board of Accountancy website.
Montana State Requirements & Education Options
Eligibility for Examination
As a first-time applicant, you must have:
- Completed at least 24 semester hours of upper division or graduate level accounting courses, including at least one course in each of the following subject areas:
- Financial Accounting
- Management Accounting, AND
- Completed at least 24 semester hours in business related courses, such as:
- Information Systems
- Business Law
- Organizational Behavior
- Quantitative Applications in Business
- Communications Skills
All educational requirements must be met at the time of application. Official educational transcript(s) and/or foreign evaluations are required to be submitted to CPAES directly from the academic institution(s) or the evaluation service.
An upper-division course is normally defined as a course taken at the junior or senior level and would exclude introductory courses in accounting. One quarter unit or hour of credit is equivalent to two-thirds of a semester unit or hour.
US citizenship is not required.
Montana residency is not required.
NO Age Requirements.
Visit prometric.com to find a CPA test center in Montana near you.
Free U.S. CPA Exam Qualification Services for International Candidates
Earn University Accounting Credits
Try the Wiley CPAexcel Course with FREE access to over 7,500 CPA Exam questions and much more.
Instant Access, No Credit Card Required
|Initial Application Fee:||$245.00|
*Registration fee for re-examination depends on the number of parts you are retaking.
CPA License Requirements in Montana
Continuing education is required.
Work experience is required.
Social Security Number is not required.
Pass the AICPA Ethics Exam.
Getting your CPA license in Montana can mean that additional requirements must be met. Since fees, requirements, and rules may change on a frequent basis, we highly recommend contacting the Montana State Board of Accountancy for complete licensing information.