The Chartered Market Technician® (CMT) Program was created in 1985 and is administered by the CMT Association. Since its inception, the CMT Program curriculum has been regularly updated to reflect the very latest and most effective technical analysis methodologies. The certification process requires candidates to demonstrate proficiency in a broad range of technical analysis techniques.
The CMT Program consists of three levels: Level I and Level II are entirely multiple-choice exams while Level III is short answer and multiple-choice question format.
According to the CMT Association, the objectives of the program are threefold:
- To help candidates master a professional body of knowledge and develop analytical skills.
- To promote and encourage the highest standards of education within the industry.
- To earn Chartered Market Technician (CMT) designation you must successfully complete the CMT Program, have the Member Status, and agree to abide by the CMT Code of Ethics.
CMT Exam Structure & Weighting
Here’s a general breakdown of the focus for each part of the CMT Exam:
- Level I focuses on a basic knowledge of the terminology and analytical tools used in technical analysis.
- Level II measures competency in the application of concepts, theory, and techniques covered by the required readings.
- Level III tests the ability to integrate the concepts identified in Level I with the practical application covered in Level II.
Here’s the weighting for each topic or concept for each level of the CMT Exam:
|Level I||Level II||Level III|
|Chart & Pattern Analysis||23%||15%|
|Selection & Decision Making||13%||10%|
|Theory & History||9%||5%|
Program Requirements & Fees
Candidates for the CMT Exams can register as a member or nonmember.
CMT Fixed Fees
CMT Program Enrollment* $250
Exam Registration Fees
|Member Pricing||Level I||Level II||Level III|
|Nonmember Pricing||Level I||Level II||Level III|
Annual membership (optional): $325
Additional Information Resources
Start Your Free Trial
Ready to see if the CMT designation is right for you? Get 14 days of free access to our CMT Exam Review Course. No credit card required.